Contract Personnel Ltd
Design Engineer – Norwich.
£37,000 per annum
Contact Personnel are currently looking for time served Design Engineers to join our very well-respected client in Norwich. Reporting to the Engineering Director/Design Engineering Manager to proactively undertake design tasks from project outset to completion of all requirements.
Management of Design Engineering Tasks
- Proactively undertake design tasks assigned by the Engineering Director / Design Engineering Manager including management of those tasks from project outset to completion of all requirements.
- Planning and management of allocated design tasks in line with the design engineering process, including:
- Developing detailed understanding of the scope of work with the Engineering Director/Project Engineer/Manager and Design Engineering Manager.
- Understand the key project milestones and delivery points.
- Plan design work to meet the key project milestones and delivery points by use of deadlines.
- At the project outset, arrange meetings for kick off, concept reviews and design reviews in line with project milestones and delivery deadlines.
- Arrange and carry out project update meetings (informal and formal) with the Engineering Director/Project Engineer/Manager and Design Engineering Manager to ensure effective communication and design project delivery.
- To engage proactively with customers / clients and suppliers as necessary to undertake / deliver work.
- To update project activity via the project reporting process.
- Deliver engineering tasks in relation to allocated project(s), highlighting to the Engineering Director/Project Engineer/Manager and Design Engineering Manager, any identified variations to plan at the earliest opportunity.
- Take ownership, responsibility for and drive forward all technical / design aspects of a project.
- Undertake design activities in accordance with Design Engineering Procedure.
- Collaboratively prepare URS documents for projects that you are responsible for with the Engineering Director/Project Engineer/Manager and Design Engineering Manager. Taking responsibility for its preparation, thoroughness and checking (in conjunction with the Project Engineer), ensuring this is completed in a timely manner to meet agreed delivery schedule.
- Compile and develop conceptual designs and present to the project team (including Suppliers where appropriate), gather feedback and buy in.
- Develop agreed concept into detailed engineering solutions by undertaking the following (within the engineer’s competence and as assigned by the Engineering Director/ Design Engineering Manager):
- Undertake Mechanical and Structural calculations, and finite element analysis (FEA) which adhere and comply with company standards, protocols and appropriate industry codes.
- To undertake Mechanical and Structural drafting which adhere and comply with company standards, protocols and appropriate industry codes.
- Prepare supporting documentation in line with agreed industry standards as required by the project, such as drawings, inspection forms, test procedures, EMI’s, etc.
- Check colleague’s calculations, FEA, drawings and documents as assigned.
- Present and chair design reviews in accordance with department training and guidelines documented in the Design Engineering Process, using IT equipment available to fully present the competed design.
- To support the sales effort to develop / review design solutions, resource and delivery plans in support of company proposals.
- Participate actively in team meetings, seminars, reviews and project planning events.
- Assist in training and mentoring graduate / developing engineers.
- Abide by all statutory requirements including those related to Health & Safety
- Understand and comply with your responsibilities under the Company’s policies and procedures in place from time to time, including all those relating to HR and Health and Safety
- Undertake any reasonable duties as directed by your line manager or Director of the business
What’s on offer
- Training and development (pay for professional quals, memberships and courses e.g. Chartership)
- Private heath plus employee Assistance scheme
- Life cover
- 25-day holiday plus bank hols
- Birthday leave after one years’ service
- Reduced gym membership
- Retail discount scheme
- Cycle to work
- Electric car scheme
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Minimum of HND in Design Engineering
- Experience of working in the offshore industry
- Experience with structural and mechanical design in the offshore environment, both topside and offshore
- Experience of working with structural/finite element software packages
- Experience with preparation and presentation of design packs for third party review
- Mechanical/Structural 2D and 3D CAD skills
- Excellent Problem solving skills and the ability to communicate well in written and verbal forms
For more information about this opportunity or any of our other roles please get in touch with me.
Rwelsh@cpl.uk.com – 01603 764044